One of the most common problems that growing families have to face is the lack of living space. As children grow, it’s necessary to provide them with a space that will give them their privacy. However, adding an extension to your house is everything but cheap. But, did you know that you can remodel your garage into a bedroom? This is a new trend that has won the hearts of many Americans. People love the fact that with a simple project, such as converting a garage, they can get an additional room in their homes! Well, if you like this idea too, you’ll need to learn how to do this remodeling project. Luckily, our guide is here to teach you so make sure to read it!
Before you start to remodel your garage into a bedroom…
After moving to Tucson AZ, your home was perfect in every way. However, now that your family is growing, you all need more space. This is a normal thing, especially for big families. So how can you fix this? You can add an extension to your house, but that’s a pricey project. Instead of doing this, you should think about turning a garage into an extra room that will be perfect for everyone.
However, it’s important to know that converting a garage is not a simple project. You might think that all you have to do is declutter and add pieces of furniture, but you’re wrong. There are so many things you’ll have to take care of and that’s why you’ll need to have a plan. Plan the whole remodeling process! In order to do so, you should evaluate the space. There’s no point into turning your garage into a bedroom if you have a mold problem, or if your roof needs fixing. The evaluation will help you picture the bedroom you’re going to create. But, evaluation is not the only thing you should take care of before starting with this project. There’s more.
Things you’ll have to take care of
When creating a plan for remodeling a garage here’s what you’ll have to do:
- Check the law – in some cases, you’ll need to get a building permit Tucson for converting your garage. It’s important to know the law and all regulations before starting the project of any kind.
- Empty the space – as you already know, you’ll have to empty your garage in order to turn it into an additional room. However, you should prepare yourself for this tiresome task. A garage is probably the hardest room for packing and emptying, but don’t give up!
- Measure your garage – after emptying the space, measure everything. This will be useful to you when you start designing the place. Also, measurements are necessary if you plan to buy new furniture.
- Remove the garage door – if your plan is to remodel your garage into a bedroom, you’ll have to get rid of the garage door. Let’s face it, entering your bedroom through a garage door will be a little awkward. However, keep them until the end of the remodeling because it will be easier for you to carry in the furniture for your new bedroom.
Make the space more livable
If your plan is to sleep in a room you once used as a garage, it’s important to make it pleasant and comfortable. You can use the rest of your packing materials Tucson AZ to pack everything you want to move to your new bedroom. But first, let’s learn how to make the space more livable. Here’s how:
- Meet minimum requirements – every living space needs to meet minimum requirements, such as minimum ceiling height, enough window space, and installing a heating and cooling system.
- Insulate the whole garage – check if your garage is insulated because most aren’t. And if you want to sleep there, you’ll need to insulate the whole room.
- Install proper flooring – think about installing a hardwood floor or tiles to make the room cozier.
- Call an electrician – most garages have hanging electrical wires, so you’ll need to find an expert to fix this. Also, consider adding several electrical outlets.
Add a personal touch to your converted garage
Conversion of a garage is a good solution if you don’t want to move to a new home because there are many risks of hiring uncertified moving companies. So, if you don’t know how to find a good moving company, this is the perfect solution to your problem. If you have finished with all the tasks that are listed above, congrats! The hardest part is over! All that is left is to design the place the way you always wanted to. You can find interesting ideas online or in different magazines. There are no rules! All that’s important is to create a space in which you can relax and feel comfortable.
Downsize your home for turning a garage into a bedroom
Last but not least is to decide how to make up for lack of storage space. For most people, the garage is precious storage and when you turn it into an additional room, you’ll lose this precious storage. However, this is not a big deal because you can downsize your home, which is what all of us should do from time to time. Also, if you still don’t have enough room in your home, consider finding companies that offer moving and storage Tucson AZ, such as Moving Buddies AZ. You can contact us whenever you want to find a quality storage unit that will be able to suit all your requirements!
This is all you will need to remodel your garage into a bedroom! As you can see, this is a rewarding project. It will take some time to complete every task from the list, but once you finish all of them, you can start enjoying your cozy bedroom!